Thomas Jefferson School Values
Many years ago, TJ selected the Greek word ὴ ἀρετή ("excellence") as its motto. The standard of excellence that shaped TJ in its infancy continues to guide the school today. Our primary goal is to prepare all students for the best possible college experience.
Since the beginning, the school has benefitted from an extraordinary level of commitment on the part of its multi-talented faculty. Teachers laid the school’s foundation and have been a integral part of charting the school’s course ever since. They carry on the work of the founders by expecting ὴ ἀρετή of themselves and of their students.
With an emphasis on hard work and individual responsibility, TJ’s intense approach to foundational education fosters a level of initiative and self-reliance that is not often seen in middle and high school students. This serves our students extremely well as they move into college. A statement made by a recent graduate captures this well. When asked, “How is college?” he replied, quite simply, “TJ 2.0.”
TJ’s philosophy and purpose are tied to the following principles:
- Guided by the belief that motivated students with high ability are best served by an excellent liberal-arts program, we will engage students in the process of developing a truly educated mind, one that comprehends clearly and assesses critically the conventions and customs that make up their world.
- We will help develop in students the qualities that will allow them to succeed at TJ, at the next level of their education, and as adults—independence, honesty, courage, leadership, kindness, the habit of hard work, delight in learning, and a sense of responsibility for themselves and for others.
- Our students will engage in study and community building with adults who model these qualities both in and out of the classroom.
- Our students will live and work with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, learning to respect feelings, beliefs, and customs that are different from their own.
- Honoring our founders’ vision that a learning community is strengthened by the continuous engagement and development of all its members, our faculty and staff will continue to grow as professionals and to participate in the decisions that affect them.